Sunday, July 4, 2010

Pride


Cincinnati's Pride event, now named Cincinnati Equinox, moved from the Northside neighborhood to Downtown, on Fountain Square, this year.

They also planned it for July 4th this year, so it wouldn't compete with Columbus, Louisville, Indianapolis, etc.

A straight friend of mine loves going to Pride. (Largely so we can make snarky comments.) I wasn't going to go, despite it being about 3 blocks from where I live, but he talked me into it. He also convinced me to go dressed.

And like with all times I get gussied up, and when I go to Pride, I'm always glad I did.

We didn't stay long, because it was hot, my lashes came off, and my feet were hurting. (We walked the 3 blocks, then limped home.)

The concierge in my building was very complimentary, although I think I looked like crap.



My friends from Hamburger Mary's.


One balloon you won't likely see in the Thanksgiving Day Parade.





Jessica Dimon, Cincinnati's reigning DQ, and a competitor in the first season of RuPaul's Drag Races. Met her for the first time last night at Hamburger Mary's. Very nice gal.









Why the purple hair? Why the club wear? I usually go to Pride events and dress down a bit. It's an effort to present the trans "community" as something normal, non-threatening, not strange. We're not (all) perverts.

Well, the hell with that. I wanted to have a bit of fun, and maybe get a bit of attention. If people don't like us, they're not going to change their minds no matter what I wear. Besides, why should drag queens have all the fun?

So, yeah, there were a lot of straight people trying to be discreet as they took my photo. But you know how t-girls are. We can hear a camera at 100 yards.

More importantly, to the fears I've felt about walking out of my apartment, being seen in public, the hell with you. I'm getting too old to be afraid. If someone doesn't like it. Tough. Even went into the Walgreens to get some smokes.

I know, I know. For most of you, this won't be a big deal, but after my outing scare last January, it was huge for me. Besides, it's a sick irony to be afraid about getting seen on the way to Pride.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats Ronnie. You look great and appear to be having fun. I'm happy for you.

Jayne Aubrie said...

Hey Ronnie. Were you there Sunday? I was also with my friends but I missed the parade. i worked until 7AM and had nearly no sleep the day before so I wimped and took a nap. I didn't dress either because that would have meant I'd be another 2 hours later! lol Anyway, I was there from about 1:30 until 4:30 or so. I wish I'd seen you.