Thursday, January 1, 2009

Two Blogs in One! Party Pooper & Feedback

New Year's Eve was again a letdown. Oh, I went to a nice party, had some fun, but started getting the blues, so I left early. Alone. (I'm not whining. Just a disappointed eternal optimist.) I was home by 11:30. Poured a drink, popped an MST3K in the DVD player, and fell asleep in the chair, only to be awoken at midnight by fireworks. After which, I finished the drink, turned off the movie, and went to bed. My party-pooper-ness may be because I worked the early shift, and had been up since 4am, without a nap.

This morning though, I had committed myself to doing a polar bear plunge. That's where you jump in ice cold water for good luck/good health for the rest of the year. I don't believe submersing myself in frigid liquid will affect the future, but I went anyway, just to say I did it.

I did it.

And it was colder than you can imagine. Unless you've been swimming in water that's about 35 degrees, Fahrenheit. Or colder. But, it was fun. If that's the right word. Afterwards, the group I was with went out for a warm lunch and beer, and the conversation was lively and entertaining.

I really, really enjoy human interaction lately. And am finding myself less connected to the online world. Simply because face-to-face is so much more gratifying. Online, I feel like I'm typing into a void.

This springs from a conversation I had with D. Shellhammer the other night: Where's the feedback? We both agreed there isn't enough. We both produce "content" on the web, and find there's less and less reaction. (Again, not whining.)

Maybe my time at Yahoo 360 spoiled me, for there was plenty of feedback there. Or maybe not. I've been writing for TGForum for nearly 10 years now, and the comments and reaction from articles there are few and far in between. So, perhaps, it's just the audience.

My theory is that there are consumers and producers. And those who consume, don't produce. Of course, the producers may consume, but, once they become consumers, they cease to produce. Case in point: I read a lot of blogs here, but rarely comment.

I sense that I'm rambling, so let me end with this: The reason I publish content on the Internet, (be it blogs, videos, or even photos) is for comments, feedback and reaction. Otherwise, I might as well just keep a spiral-bound journal underneath my pillow.

You'll note the title of this blog. Anyone looking for deep thoughts would probably skip reading this entire entry based upon the first paragraph. So, I cleverly hooked you in, with a promise of more than just a "slice of life" entry. Did it work?

6 comments:

Vulnavia Morbius said...

I've said it before: we are dancing animals. None of this electronic crap is worth a damn if it doesn't lead to joining the dance.

But then, I've actually met you (several times).

(capcha word: "brati", which almost describes me).

Lori D said...

I probably read more blogs than I need to or should sometimes. I comment when I thing I have some valid to say, other times I just read to keep up with their lives. I often wonder if my redundant optimism becomes tiresome to many. Then again, there seems to be too little of that and too much of misery, both in my own life and in the trans community in general.

It's a tough world out there, especially for trans people. Watching your videos with their great smiles and guests was a healthy and warm distraction from reality for me. I hope you do more.

By the way, you ever wonder what these CAPTCHA word verifiers mean with their randomness? My word here is "cuptiler." What the fuck is that? LOL

Le visage d'avril said...

I was going to leave a thoughtful, on point comment but then I went brain dead so you get this.

I am impressed you did the plunge.

I think some of the reason 360 was so active was you could see what was new easily. It took me a while to figure out RSS readers (likie Google reader) do the same. There is a lot more competition in the big world vs 360.

Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

In this new generation of blog and social media, you have to give more to get. You have to be willing to connect with others and leave comments. It is not so much the shot gun out a piece of wisdom and others will show a direction of their thumb about it. I still find you fun to read, don't and won't always agree with you, but do appreciate you for who and what you are!

The Artist D said...

I love how I said that about it not being a television set. That was pretty epic.

It's an interactive television, actually. That is how I look at it these days, from where I've come from. But I was on the Internet before it was "a community." It's not about commenting to be commented, it's about us being the dancing queens (no pun!) and the consumers enjoying our dance.

Every inspirational star on the internet (Rosie, Roseeann, Susan, Ru, etc. etc. etc.) says the same thing, "if it wasn't for you guys commenting and emailing I wouldn't do it..." If they had the lack of stardom from television to here, they'd have thrown in the towel. Which is why I have to just keep doing it like nobody is looking. However, thankfully I do have the feedback I need now and I can act a little bit more like I am doing it for all of us.

I loved Dr. Morbius' comment. We are dancing animals. To think that what happens here will lead to something out there ... there's a fabulous theory!

Unknown said...

One thing I notice, in general that for me is very telling is that specific ideas, especially idealistic and partisan ones, tend to go over better than general ideas.

For instance it is easier to condemn Christians or Muslims as anti-Alt or Anti-Trans, but if you point out that bigotry and hatred permeate every walk of life, including alt lifestyles, people stare blankly, look the other way, or just ignore the comment. People do not want to be reminded that we are all part of the problem. They would rather fix someone else than themselves.

Of course that is just MHO.