Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The first post, reposted from MySpace

Surprise! I went to protest Prop 8
The protest was scheduled to begin at 1:30. At 12:50, I said to myself, "I need to do this."
I was dismayed when I heard that Prop 8 passed. What is probably the most liberal state in the country banned same sex marriages, at the same time they voted in Democrat Barack Obama to the White House. What's up with that?
Anyway. I'm for gay marriage. I'm for gay rights. Gay rights are human rights. I'm a human. It seems only logical.
Margaret Cho was there: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo8wPJ5AnWs
I made my own video at the protest too. And I ramble a bit at the end, but let me try to clarify my thoughts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uMs58xhaNM
There are only a handful in the T-community who are activists. Only a few who go to the protests, lobby lawmakers, attend Pride festivals, and whatnot. That really, really, really needs to change. We need to start actively advocating our rights.
"Oh, but I'm in the closet, and I have so much to lose. And no-one likes us anyway."
Yeah, well, if we weren't in the closet, people would like us more, and losing things wouldn't be an issue.
Like him or not, there will soon be a President in office who has spoken the word transgendered. To my knowledge, no other Chief Executive has uttered the word publicly. Doesn't that say something to you? Doesn't that say things have changed and are going to change?
But, they'll only change if someone is willing to make a bit of an effort.
I dunno. Words are failing me. I'm frustrated by being in the closet myself, and by the majority of other t-girls there as well. We've made the closet very comfy, but it's time we at least crack the door open a bit more.
Diane Schroer, Isis on ANTM, Candace Cayne. They're all out there. They seem to be making it work.
I'll admit, I'm not going to be marching on Washington in heels any time soon myself. But, I've got to start doing something. And I hope I won't be alone.

No comments: