Friday, November 28, 2008

Nothing good comes from naps.

Let's define the term first. A nap is an sleep period during the day, or outside your regular sleep schedule.

It's a time that could be better used being productive.

I don't nap often. For one thing, the phone typically rings about 2 minutes after I doze off. Knowing it's going to ring makes it difficult to relax. And even if I turn the phone off, something else happens: a car alarm goes off, the cat howls, or an ambulance headed to an emergency crashes at 70mph into a school bus filled with orphans, and the additional firefighters and rescuers can't seem to turn the smashed ambulance's siren off. Beneath my window.

But sometimes, I have to ignore the cacophany and get a bit of shut-eye.

Like today. You'll recall I didn't get a lot of sleep on Thanksgiving morning, thanks to the "whoooo-people". I tried taking a nap after work, but it didn't take.

This morning, I got up early and went to work, and was home by 9, exhausted. So, I lay down for a nap. The sun was streaming through the window, so I was nice and warm. The cat curled up next to me. I didn't even care if the phone rang, because I was so tired, the nap was inevitable.

And I fell asleep. Only to have dreams that I wasn't asleep, only paralyzed. And they got weirder from there. I'll spare you the recap, but they were the kind of dreams that leave you cranky, discombobulated and out-of-sorts.

And that's where I am now. Especially because I have to tidy up the apartment; something I could have been doing earlier, except I was napping.

No comments: